MyMenu1

Advertisements

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Day 1 and first half of day 2


Having arrived at San Francisco at roughly 3 in the afternoon I was faced with the challenge of cheaply getting to the Twin Peaks hotel where Sam and Charles already were. I duly gave up and spent fifty dollars on a taxi. All I have to say about the hotel is that my room smelt like wacky backs but luckily I got the room opposite Sam and Charles. After reassembling my bike we all went on search for the ore ride dinner. It is safe to say that the burrito we had was definitely the best meal I have ever eaten, only made more entertaining by a sing off between two men in the restaurant!


We woke up bright and early at 7am and headed on over to the Golden Gate Bridge, the starting point for our journey. After taking a few snaps of us in all our charity gear we shot down to Fisherman's wharf to catch the ferry to Vallejo. From Vallejo we had 50 miles to our destination in Davis. It is fair to say there were moments in that 50 miles where I was doubting my ability to actually complete this journey, mainly because of Jet lag and also the severe heat. We did stop in a place called Winters so I could sleep in a bar and that was about 10 miles from  Davis. 


In Davis we were greeted by an amazing couple Katherine and John, who I genuinely think are our guardian Angels! A huge shout out to them as hosts if anyone is cycling through Davis you won't find a better place to stay. We all had a cold shower outside, which may sound awful to some of you reading this but it was absolutely stunning considering the heat that day! Dinner was sausages and pasta with a couple of beers, exactly what the doctor ordered. At that point we had no energy left so Sam and Charles shared the bed and I offered to camp on the floor with my sleeping mat and sleeping bag because it was a better option than sleeping with Charles and Sam. All in all a really tough day but I think it's made us all really exited for the rest of the trip.


Day 2 started even earlier than day 1 and we were away by 6 40 ish. Of course after Katherine and John had treated us to pancakes and coffee to send us on our way, ready and prepared. First stop was Sacramento, and it didn't go too well. At the traffic lights somehow Sam ended up flying off his bike and on the road, luckily all of the damage was easily fixable and Sam only had a small graze on his leg. At Sacramento we took a few pictures with the Capitol Building and headed towards the river trail, which we followed all the way to Folsom, I don't think more cyclists have been in one place but it was a really great scenic ride. Writing this blog we are just sitting in an Irish pub avoiding the midday heat and Sam and I got our hair shaved off... Oops, not a good look. Until next time! - JH

No comments:

Post a Comment